Produce short animations for a themed party VJ pack - the theme being Camp/Flamboyant
Exploding Shoes! Make sequinned shoes that explode into a cloud of sequins and then reform.
The first job was to model a shoe, attach particles using goals, and animate the goal strength to create the exploding effect
As a result of this test, I discovered that it's very hard to make particles explode; they always have a "slow in". However, I found that by playing the sequence backwards, I could get the effect I wanted.
Next step was to turn the particles into sequins; this was done using a slightly modified version of Alan's "Pixie Dust" Tutorial
Now that I had a shoe, I tried a bunch of different ideas for the VJ pack
After final approval from Pete, I rendered out a series of TIFF sequences, including
- Just the blue shoe, static camera, one "Tap" at the beginning of the sequence and then the remainder of the 2 second length just sequins twinkling
- Just the pink shoes, static camera, one "Tap" at the beginning of the sequence
- A loop of the blue shoe, static camera
- A loop of the pink shoes, static camera
- A loop of all 3 shoes, spinning camera
After I finished the shoe sequences, Pete asked me to apply the same process to Sam Tremaine's bus. The process was the same, but a little trickier due to the higher number of particles and vertices involved.