Monday 12 January 2015

Maya to Papercraft Experiment

I wanted to try and turn a 3D model into a physical model, so I gave it a go.

First step was to make a simple model (above). Then, each face had to be individually mapped, using planar mapping with "best plane" selected; and projection width & height set to 10

Unfortunately, this just produced 329 separate faces that needed to be joined into a net that could be build, and that was a process of trial and error - the first attempt turned out to be unbuildable.

2nd attempt at a net (this one turned out to be buildable)


I attempted to make a sturdier version out of plasticard, but 2mm polystyrene sheet proved a bit too thick.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dan

    Nice to see you posting again...I'm not sure if I mentioned this to you in the past but I have a friend who works as a paper engineer...this is his blog:

    http://projectcutter.blogspot.co.uk/

    I would also recommend looking up an app called Pepakura for true physical unfolding. Unfolding UV's are not accurate enough for papercraft.

    http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/

    ReplyDelete